Hey guys! Today is the second day of Dragon*Con, and most importantly, the day of the Dragon*Con Parade! There’s easily 500+(?) people walking in this, dressed up as everything from a Storm Trooper to WoW characters to Gundam Wing Robots and everything in between. I take it back, if I said last Saturday was the busiest weekend so far it pales in comparison to this one.
Dragon Con Parade: 10am in Downtown Atlanta. View the route here!
Other recommended Dragon*Con Events today:
- Dragon Con Night at the GA Aquarium
- Rocky Horror Picture Show Live
- A screening of the Aaron Swartz documentary, The Internet’s Own Boy (10pm, Hilton EFF)
- The Roast of Steampunk Boba Fett (11:30, Augusta 1-2 Westin)
- Government Surveillance: Through a PRISM Darkly (4pm, Crystal Ballroom)
- Full schedule absolutely full of events here, let me know if there’s something you’re really excited about! Dragon*Con runs through Monday.
The Decatur Book Festival also continues today and tomorrow, some recommended events for today are:
- #WeLoveATL & Vouched Book: worth a thousand (5:30, Decatur High School Stage)
- Yell and Oates: Write Club Atlanta Tackles the Classics (5:30, Decatur Recreatin Center Gym)
- Lily & The Tigers performing (6:15, DBF Community Bandstand)
- Just like Dragon*Con, there are dozens of events going on today, (although unlike D*C there’s a handy concise schedule!) so be sure to look through it all if you’re going, there’s way more than I could cover, and if there’s something you’re really excited about for tomorrow let me know!
Weekend-Long Music Festivals
The Slime Big Money Bug-Out Fest is at Eyedrum Art & Music Gallery (88 Forsyth St) today and tomorrow, starting at 8pm, featuring music from over twenty different bands, including Ginko, Gurgle Twins, Suffer Bomb Damage, and MANS TRASH today. If you haven’t been to Eyedrum since they moved, it’s now in an incredibly cool formerly abandoned music store, which is a great place for a music festival.
The Sound Table (483 Edgewood Ave) hosts The Atlanta Weekender all weekend long, a celebration of soul, house, and afrobeat. Tons of details about all the performers and various venues over the weekend are located at the link, but there’s stuff at Erosol from 2-8pm, and The Sound Table, The Music Room, and Phaze A Gallery from 10-3am.
The Imagine Music Festival at The Masquerade Music Park, all weekend long, starting at 11am today. Highlights include Ethan Kath’s DJ set, Emancipator, and Beats Antique.
No Big Egos is at Union EAV (485 Flat Shoals) today and tomorrow, “Atlanta’s premier Indie Rock Festival,” featuring
Ryan Singer at the Laughing Skull Lounge, 8 and 10:30, ~$18. Repeat show tomorrow at 7:30.
The Stan McCollum Gallery (1000 Marietta St) is closing their What Work Are You Here For? exhibit, featuring work from Ernesto Torres, a Cuban artist and Atlanta resident who manipulates film stills to put them in a different context. 12-5pm
The Low Museum (550 JW Dobbs) has a Life Drawing Class today from 11-2, anybody of any skill level is welcome to attend, and they are asking for a $5-$10 donation to help fund future art classes.
Cypress St Pint & Plate (817 West Peachtree) has their Annual End of Summer Pig Roast from 11-5pm today, they’re roasting a 100lb whole pig, as well as selling their usual $3 SweetWater IPA, and will have live music on the patio.
The Elder Tree Public House (469 Flat Shoals) has the Atlanta Silverbacks vs Carolina RailHawks Watching Party at 7:30pm today.
The Wham Bam Bowie Band at The 529, 9pm, $10 cover.
No Big Egos is at Union EAV (485 Flat Shoals) today from 5-3am, “Atlanta’s premier Indie Rock Festival,” featuring ten bands as well as DJs and a grill. $10 cover.
=> Also check out the recurring Saturday events for more! <=
If you’d like to submit events or corrections for the recurring events, please send them in to my email address below.—————————————————————————————————————
Let me know what you guys get up to and if you take a cool picture you’d like to share, email it to me at Cain@ATLToDo.com and I’ll put it on the blog tomorrow!
Be sure to follow me on Twitter, Tumblr, or Facebook, put me in your RSS reader, or sign up for daily emails, whatever works best for you! As always, remember that ATLToDo.com will have the most up-to-date version of the list, so check back frequently!