Hey guys! Happy Pi Day! Better get down to CiCis and eat as much pizza pie as you can handle, that’s how most people celebrate, right? Is that just me?
It’s also St. Patrick’s weekend, and GSU spring break, so there’s lots of things going on over the next few days. Did anybody go to that crazy Japanese punk show at the 529 last night?
St Patricks Food Specials (Mostly all good today-Monday):
- Sidebar (79 Poplar St) is doing Irish food all weekend (…) including all-you-can-eat corned beef and baked potato soup for $7 (………) and a Guinness+Jameson shot for $7. Sidebar is one of my favorite dives around, but I don’t know that I want to eat there… ever… Their sister bar Park Bar (150 Walton Street) is also doing all the same deals.
- Publik Draft House (654 Peachtree St) has an Irish menu for the weekend.
- Bantam & Biddy (1050 Crescent Ave.) has $3 Guinness all weekend
- 10th & Piedmont ( 991 Piedmont Ave.) has $3 green beer and other St Paddy’s fare.
- Pretty much every Irish pub (Meehans/Ri Ra/Hand in Hand) is doing something, if not today then tomorrow/Sunday/Monday. I didn’t want to list them all and clutter the list, but if your favorite place is doing something especially cool, let me know and I’ll put it on here!
Let’s just get one thing straight before this weekend starts though, Paddy is short for Patrick, Patty is short for Patricia. It’s St Paddy’s Day if you’re going to shorten it. Irishmen named Patrick the world over cringe when they hear people say St. Patty’s day.
Anyway, that’s my soapbox (sorry!), here’s all the other stuff going on today:
The Edgewood Saxophone Trio are playing in Candler Park ( 470 Candler Park Drive) today to celebrate the release of their first full length album. 8pm, $5-$12
At Cinefest Film Theater (66 Courtland St) the annual Atlanta Philosophy Film Festival is showing some movies at 8pm, but I can’t figure out which ones (all of them?). For the festival, admission is free for everyone, not just students.
Meet at Ri Ra (1080 Peachtree) at 7pm for the Green Mile pub crawl. Tickets are $20 but you can get them for $15 with the promo code “brian.”
Aziz Ansari (!!!) is doing standup at The Fox Theater (660 Peachtree St) tonight! His Netflix specials are hilarious, but unfortunately tickets to see him are $48 at the cheapest, so I’m just going to have a few beers and then nervously loiter around back after his set ends in vain hopes of meeting him before I get arrested for being up to no good. (Watch me re-use this exact description when Eddie Izzard comes into town next month.) 7:30pm.
It’s the final day to see the Something Else exhibit at Further Art (75 Bennett Street #M2) in Buckhead, the gallery is open from 11am-5pm today, so if you were thinking about it yesterday for the reception, now’s your last chance.
Speaking of last chances, Steal This Bike at the Mint Gallery (636 N. Highland Ave) is shutting its doors today, the closing reception lasts from 8-10pm, with a performance by artist Alessandra Hoshor.
At 9pm at The Eyedrum Gallery ( 115 MLK Jr. Drive) a lot of bands are playing, Cult & Leper are the headliners, but also performing are The Dandyls who put on a hilariously over-the-top “punk” performance when I saw them at the Star Bar last month.
Here’s the shows going on today (image link):
|Ruby Velle & the Soulphonics||The Earl||10pm, $12, 21+||Neo-soul, Ruby has a great voice, easily on par with Amy Winehouse. They’re debuting new songs at The Earl tonight!|
|The Body||529||10pm, $7, 21+||Slow heavy metal with vocals that sound physically tortured..|
|I’ll be an Empire||Drunken Unicorn||9pm, $7, 21+||Screamo metal stuff from Kennesaw.|
|The Infamous Stringdusters||Terminal West||8pm, $21, 18+||Twangy bluegrass/country music. Not really my sort of thing but they sound like they might be good if you like that sort of music.|
|Green River Ordinance||Vinyl||8pm, $15||Folky pop-country music, kind of sounds like coffeeshop music.|
|Mint Condition||Center Stage||Sold out, 8:30pm||Neo R&B, these guys are playing tomorrow too and it’s already sold out. RnB always makes me think of characters in a film preparing to have sex :||
|Children of Bodom||Masquerade (Heaven)||7pm, $23||I think these guys are classic metal? I don’t know, they sound like stereotypical Spinal Tap metal complete with flying V guitars and synchronous headbanging. I imagine this will be a violent show.|
|The Bastard Suns||Masquerade (Hell)||7pm $12||"Reggae-infused punk," it’s warped-tour style pop-punk music, fast, fun, and mostly harmless.|
Grr, the tumblr iPhone app doesn’t ever show my tables.
- Bogey & The Viceroy @ Fernbank Museum, 6:30pm
- Brandon Gunter and Nick Flora @ Smith’s Olde Bar, 6:30pm, $8
- Delta Moon @ Eddie’s Attic, 7pm, $16
I just download all of the Hellblazer comic books to re-read in preparation for them bastardizing it as a TV show soon, so I’m going to find a bar with a nice patio and read those until the sun goes down, but I’m thinking about going to the Eyedrum gallery, and as corporate as pop-punk may be these days, The Bastard Suns could be a fun show if the crowd is energetic enough. Let me know what kind of cool stuff you guys get up to!
Be sure to follow me on Twitter, Tumblr, or Facebook, put me in your RSS reader, or sign up for daily emails, whatever works best for you! As always, remember that the Tumblr will be the most up-to-date version of the list.
I’ve had some people ask if I could start doing the list a day in advance to make planning easier, which I politely declined because I like to keep it as up-to-the-minute as possible, but I did come up with an acceptable compromise. On Fridays and Saturdays I’ll end the list with:
A Few Big Things for Tomorrow:
- The St. Patrick’s Day Parade goes down Peachtree St at noon
- ShamRock Music & Art Festival at the Masquerade Music Park goes on all day
- All of the East Andrews District is a day-long party starting at 6am if that’s your scene.
- Park Tavern in Piedmont Park is doing Luckyfest 2014 starting at 2pm, if it’s nice outside that will be great.
- And of course loads more, but those are the biggest things. Full list tomorrow morning like usual!